August 1, 2011 
- User scripts cannot run in any about: pages besides about:blank. (Security enhancement; )
- Global, user specified, @exclude rules. ( )
- Support for @run-at metadata imperative, which supports value document-start, as well as the standard document-end behavior. ( )
- New @match metadata imperative, as implemented by Google Chrome. Thanks to Scriptish for original implementation. ( )
- Support for full regular expression syntax in Include and exclude rules. ( )
July 14, 2011 
- Scripts with broken @icons will install, just with no icon. ( )
- Editing the @icon line of a script will take effect immediately. ( )
- Remote resources (@require, @resource, @icon) that redirect to other URLs will now work. ( )
- Compatibility with Firefox 6 and 7. ( )
- GM_openInTab() will respect the
insertRelatedAfterCurrentpreference. ( )
June 24, 2011 
- GM_openInTab() fails in Firefox 3. ( )
- Firefox 5: Error in Add-ons Manager. ( )
- Add "get user scripts" link to the Add-ons Manager. ( )
- Pass site cookies when downloading scripts. ( )
May 26, 2011 
- Installing and uninstalling the same script many times does not work properly. ( )
- GM_xmlhttpRequest() does not work in Firefox 5 betas. ( )
- (Introduced in 0.9.4:) Cannot enable nor disable scripts. ( )
- Installing the first user script while the user scripts pane of the add-ons manager is open leaves the "no user scripts" warning. ( )
- The installation dialog shows the script version, if provided with @version. ( )
Note: Not publicly released due to bugs.
May 24, 2011 
- The GM_openInTab() API again returns a handle to the window object. ( )
- Using alert() will not break setTimeout() nor GM_xmlhttpRequest(). (
Note: we currently only have a work-around in place, watch mozilla bug 647727 for a real fix. )
- When re-ordering execution of scripts: clicking the first/last item disables sooner/later items, and picking any of these will switch to Execution Order sort (if it is not already selected).
- Removed the detail view for user scripts, which did not contain any more information than the list view.
April 28, 2011 
- Error message logged ("Redeclaration of const document")/high CPU usage when closing the sidebar. ( , )
- Navigating to a .user.js inside a frame works like anywhere else. ( )
- The list of user scripts in the Add-ons Manager would sometimes forget its sort order. ( )
- Compatibility enhancement with AutoPager (broken in 0.9.2). ( )
- Passing a non-function to GM_registerMenuCommand()'s commandFunc broke the entire menu, and items showed up in the wrong order (both broken in 0.9.2). ( , )
- Passing the Referer header works, for GM_xmlhttpRequest(). ( )
- Accessibility: The sort buttons in the Add-ons Manager work with keyboard input (space/enter). ( )
April 5, 2011 
- Failure on OSX when Growl is installed, but not running. ( )
- Incorrect display of Greasemonkey icon in Add-ons window (Firefox 3.6, OS X). ( , )
- Provide a sort bar, to control display order of the scripts in the Add-ons manager, for Firefox 4. ( )
- Remove "accelerator" keys from GM_registerMenuCommand(). () ,
- Work around incompatibility with Personas Plus extension. ( )
- Provide a toolbar button, and remove the status bar icon for Firefox 4. ( )
- When re-installing a script (e.g. for an update), keep it in the same execution order. ( )
- Keep the add-ons manager view up to date when changing (installing/enabling/disabling/etc) user scripts. ( )
January 24, 2011 
- Fix user script sandbox wrapping. This deals with lots of problems like
eval(). ( , also , , , )
- Fixed rare bug when installing scripts. ( )
- Fixed errors when Growl is not installed on Mac OS X. ( )
- Fixed problems with relative @require imperatives. ( )
- Allow sorting by descending (as well as ascending) execution order. ( )
January 18, 2011 
- Compatibility with Firefox 4! Firefox 4 support is still preliminary. Everything probably works, but not everything works really well. The backlog of bugs for the next release is primarily focused on this.
- Complete integration with the standard Firefox Add-ons dialog, treating User Scripts as just another kind of browser add-on. (See the reference link above for screenshots.)
- A global options dialog, where the script editor can always be selected. ( , )
- Live in-place editing for the entire script, including metadata (
@exclude, etc.). ( , , )
- Web pages that end in .user.js are loaded as normal, instead of being installed as a user script. ( )
Bug fixes / minor enhancements:
- All Greasemonkey windows respond to standard close window keyboard shortcuts. ( )
- Support for @icon metadata imperative, displayed in the new add-ons manager integration. ( )
- Support user and password for
GM_xmlhttpRequest(). ( )
- Support @version metadata imperative. ( )
- Suppress spurious Error: not well-formed (// ==UserScript==) error messages. ( )
- The "install" menu item is removed. ( )
April 8, 2010 
- Add a hidden preference to allow greasing the unmht: scheme. ( )
- Allow relative URLs to be used for GM_xmlhttpRequest(), just like standard XMLHttpRequest. ( )
- Performance enhancements and code improvements to internal logic behind @include and @exclude rules. ( )
- Added translations: ca-ES, cs, fr, nl, sr-RS, vi.
- GM_xmlhttpRequest() can fail when Object.prototype has been modified. ( )
- Two warnings upon making new script via "New User Script". ( )
- Installing scripts from the hard drive (instead of via the web) can fail. ( )
- Fix a flaw that could allow websites to prevent Greasemonkey from running. ( )
- Error "this.menuCommanders is undefined" bug when closing a browser window. ( )
- Error "ScriptDownloader is not defined" when performing view source on a user script. ( )
February 11, 2010 
- Add an abort() method for GM_xmlhttpRequest. ( )
- Increase compatibility with bleeding-edge Firefox versions. ( )
- Display a "welcome" page to new users when they install. ( )
- Fix hooking into the console object for Firebug 1.5.
December 8, 2009 
- Properly specify the .finalUrl for GM_xmlhttpRequest results. ( )
September 26, 2009 
- Do not inject scripts into file: and about: URLs by default, for security reasons. ( )
- The GM_openInTab() function respects the background loading tab behavior from Firefox preferences. ( )
- Specify label/control associations in "New Script" dialog, for accessibility. ( )
- Minor code clean ups and improvements. ( , )
- Remove "forced" upgrade code. ( )
- Remove extra spacing around the status bar icon. ( )
- When adding include/exclude rules, include the port number in the default suggestion. ( )
- Reduce noise logged to the console when interacting with Firebug. ( )
- Apply security checks to GM_listValues() and GM_deleteValue(). ( )
- Fix missing localized strings in various locales. ( )
- Grease pages loaded into the sidebar. ( )
February 18th, 2009 
- Added translations: ar-SA, bn-IN, hu-HU, id-ID, ro-RO, sr-RS, vi-VN.
- Fix for ticket #111 (anomalous separators in the monkey menu).
- Added GM_deleteValue and GM_listValues APIs (#38).
- Restore the anonymous function wrapper around scripts, and thus the same behavior as versions prior to 0.8 (by default, removable with the @unwrap metadata imperative, #108).
- Improved interaction with the Firebug console (#122, #204).
June 12th, 2008 
- New metadata: @resource, @require.
- New API functions: GM_getResourceURL, GM_getResourceText
- New property of GM_xmlhttpRequest return: finalUrl
- Internal code improvements
- New graphics by Pak-Kei Mak, icons in the Add Ons dialog and Status Bar
Jan 21st, 2008 
- Security release where GM_xmlhttpRequest, GM_getValue and GM_setValue were hardened against a privilege escalation attack targeting specific user scripts accessing anything through unsafeWindow, thus gaining content code unrestricted access to those methods (thanks Anthony Lieuallen).
This change breaks backwards compatibility for scripts granting page code direct or limited access to either method via function references on unsafeWindow; see 0.7.20080121.0 compatibility for available workarounds.
September 1st, 2005 
Released to the Greasemonkey mailing list, fixed bugs in the automatic migration system for the changes between the 0.3 and 0.5 branches.
- Security fix wherein a user script could elevate itself to chrome privileges.
- User can select the editor to use for "Edit" in manage, and "New User Script".
- Unicode support for non-english characters.
The first release containing security fixes over 0.3.5 intended for public consumption. "Greasemonkey 0.5 is actually the combination of a massive security audit and all the new code which was planned for 0.4."
- GM_openInTab, unsafeWindow
- Enhancements to GM_registerMenuCommand: keyboard shortcuts, stability.
- Memory leak fixes.
- "New User Script" menu item, shortcut to a new blank template for user script authors.
- Restricted GM_xmlhttpRequest from accessing local
The 0.4 branch was an internal development version, where experimentation for security fixes happened.
Security flaw release. Contained no fixes, rather removed all vulnerable features. Intended for (limited) continued use while fixes were being performed.
May 12th, 2005 
- ".tld" support in @include/@exclude, allowing things like
@include http://www.example.tld/for all international permutations.
- Log level option for GM_log
- Minor enhancements and bugfixes.
Primarily bugfix release.
- Edit button in the manage dialog.
- Monkey icon in the status bar, click to enable/disable.
- GM_getValue, GM_setValue, GM_log
Also, the default user scripts that were bundled with Greasemonkey by default until this point were removed.